Monday, April 11, 2011

The Lonely Sucker

I think I'm the only person in the world who liked the new Zach Snyder film SuckerPunch.

I've read line after line (AFTER I saw the film) about how sexist or misogynist this film is, and I just don't see that. I didn't feel it at all watching it. Its lurid, and kind of fetishistic for sure, but I don't think the women-in-peril setting was any worse than many films. No film about women under duress from headmasters, prison guards, or leering bosses is free from 'depicted' misogyny is it?

I think reviewers just couldn't get past all bustiers and thigh-highs on display while the girls were cutting and shooting. After five minutes of the fantasy battle sequences I barely noticed what they had on.

Maybe I'm just getting too thick and insensitive to this shit.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was an extremely female empowering movie, actually. I loved it, and talked about it at length with my brother.

    If it was anything, it was misandrystic.

    ReplyDelete